Thursday, August 13, 2009

Successful planning is never easy

Few days ago, I was having this conversation with a friend on the phone. He was telling me about in one of an organization, which name I refuse to reveal, the chairperson's mission is completely different with the company's CEO's, but both of their objectives/planning are the same. One question pops in my head. I used to think that miscommunication and lack of teamwork are the assassins of successful planning, but this, is even worse. And I don't know how does the company survived until now.

Tell me what's worse, the problems come from the committees/employers themselves, or, the problems started with the powerful people up there? Correct me if I'm wrong, what I have said and that I am going to say are my humble opinions.

What's the point of continuing planning an event or anything for a company, when two of the most powerful people at the top has different aims/missions?
What do they actually aim for throughout the whole event?

Like what always happen in many club and societies. Lack of teamwork, miscommunication, lack of experience, etc always kill the success of planning events. Everytime post-mortem negative feedbacks are more than positives. Shows that there are still plenty of us to learn and overcome them.

One factor why the mistakes of event-planning sometimes are repeated over and over again. During post-mortem, around me, there are many people who not willing to accept criticism. Participants gives negative feedback, or complain, and how the event organizers & planners react to it? No they don't keep quiet, they don't ignore it, they don't laugh and brush it off like that.. Even worse, they shoot back at the participants, then continue babbling about how bad is the participant(s). I always see this around me, I'm quite sick of it.

Try asking successful people like Tony Fernandez, the CEO of Air Asia, how he develop the whole company and what he had to overcome or achieve to go this far. Which is what I am going to do if I have a chance to meet him in person.

Please feel free to drop comments if you have any opinions. These are just what I think. Well, you have the right to express yourself after all, right?


"When the stars take part on it on the huge ocean,
when everything becomes so fragile to the elements,
No rank no class,
no jailworkers no handsomes,
everyone on the same distress,
on the same boat,
on the same boat."

On The Same Boat - Celine Dion

No comments: