Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Jay Chou's talent

I've always been fascinated by how talented the man is. His piano skills can make my mouth fall open. Just ignore the way he sings, I never liked it either. But if you listen carefully his music, they always have a meaning behind both the music and lyrics. And if you listen carefully enough, you can tell by the way he composed the music and the way the music is perfectly arranged are dead damn good until you have nothing bad to say about his talent.

And some people are just refused to actually take a look at his skills and only know how to bad-mouth him.

If you consider yourself have a "good taste" in music, you should already know Jay Chou's talent.

Upon watching the movie The Secret, which directed by the man himself, the piano battle scene is the most unforgettable one.



And believe me, the piano battle it's not fake. You can tell by the veins of their hands move.

Jay Chou vs Yuhao Piano Battle

*Note that the guy in black suit is Jay himself. And if you don't know, Jay Chou is actually Yuhao's "sifu".

There are also several good songs from him. Not all that I fancy. I only fancy those reallly good ones. Those songs are no ordinary, if you listen it yourself, you will understand what I mean.

My top 10 favorite songs from Jay Chou

1. My all-time favorite, Yi Fu Zhi Ming (In Father's Name)



Who would think of putting a religion in a song? Who would think of putting a prayer as the opening of the song? Notice a woman's screams? Who would ever think of that? Simply amazing. As for the lyrics, as a chinese-educated myself, the lyric are just too hard to understand.

2. Ye De Di Qi Zhang (Twilight Chapter Seven)



For some reasons this songs reminds me of Jack The Ripper. I love the opening of the song very much. Impressive. And the lyric reminds me that no wonder Chinese language is the toughest to learn.

3. From the Jet Li movie called Fearless, the soundtrack. Huo Yuan Jia (Fearless)



In this song, you will notice some traditional chinese musical instrument. And believe it or not, it's all composed by Jay himself and he knows how to play traditional instruments (those instruments can take ages to learn).

4. Qian Li Zhi Wai (Beyond A Thousand Miles)



The traditional instruments used in this song is just simply prefectly arranged. And take note that the lyric are not straight-forward at all.

5. Zhi Zhang Zhi Shang (Wounds Of War)



I always think to myself that if I ever learn to play the piano, I'd learn this song. For sure. Listen to the opening, extraordinary right? At the bridge, the way the piano music changed is simply awesome! Where on earth you can find such song like this?

6. Dong Feng Puo (East Wind Breaks)



Combination of piano and some traditional instruments? Who would thought of that? My favorite song to sing. Listen to the music which connects the chorus to the second verse, I cannot figure out that instrument is that. The pluck string traditional instruments used here is called PiPa. Looks like this:



Some of you know that there was once he named one of his album after his own mother.



7. Ye Qu (Nocturnes) from the album November's Choppin.



There was once my indian friend told me how much he loved this song, see? even other race also know about his talent!

I personally love the opening and the chorus. Reminds me a death of a loved one. I've seen someone played this song on a piano, and I went like WOW.

8. Fa Ru Xue (Hair Like Snow)



Basically the rain sound as the opening and another traditional instrument used are simply terriffic.

9. San Nian Er Ban (Third Year, Second Class)



Anyone love Ping Pong, you'd definitely love this. Who would thought of putting ping pong in a song? Yeah, I know Enrique Iglesias one also got ping pong song, but this Jay's song came out officially wayyyyyy long before Enrique's one. And when I was still in atheltics, this song always remind me not to give up.

10. Wai Po (Maternal Grandmother)



He loves his grandmother so much until he composed a song specially about her. And there was once he even brought her to attend his award ceremony. This song tells you about the loneliness of old people. Notice that his very own grandmother is in the video.

One of the quote I love most from this song. "Cousin said don't be sad of losing, this is just a game. If grandma says his songs are good, that is his real encouragement." quote by Jay's cousin herself in the song.

You can hate all live concerts. But Jay Chou's concert you can never want to miss because he always bring surprises in his live concerts. Don't believe me? Go Youtube it yourself.

2 comments:

Leonard said...

Eh...Qing tian also nice...The piano battle was also done in the concert ^^

Harmonie said...

Yea the live version one maa. basically all his songs also nice.